WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OWASP Top Ten - dev process

From: Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:40:08 +1000

On 7/13/05, Evans, Arian <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com> wrote:
[ ...]

A Top-10 retooling that reflects and communicates
this fact would help the FUD and benefit everyone.
Less emphasis on XSS and more on how to build reusable
unit tests/build software. Security tests for unit
testing are cheap, right, I/O tests only need to be
built once to work across a wide variety of application
conditions based upon data type of course.

But isn't the the _whole point_ of a "Top Ten" is that it quickly and
easily lists the 'visible' problems [i.e not the cause]?

I mean, you could make it a Top 2 otherwise:
1) Bad Programming
2) Bad Design

It covers everything; easy to interpret and hence fail or pass as you like.

imho an OWASP "Top Ten" shouldn't really cover _my_ development
procedures; only the problems exposed by them.

Anyway, maybe i've missed the email where this was being discussed;
heading over to the owasp archive now :)

-- Michael

Not so with business-logic specific tests, e.g.-"Rob's Report".

-ae