WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re: Microsoft's 'Honeymonkey' project finds 0day

From: Christopher Canova <ccanova () reachone com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:57:02 -0700

F Lace wrote:

Only if they make their patches work better. I get a blue screen with
few of the patches, a similar description is found at:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Fatal_Errors_Upon_Loading_Windows-t19049.html

If I do not patch my PC, it is vulnerable. If I patch my PC, is not
usable. What the heck - if it is only websites that can harm my PC,
then I will restrict browsing only a few popular ones. But I know the
source can not only be websites but other things too. but I dont know
what they can be. Can I keep my PC unpatched and remain confident?
Thanks.

Some legitimate sites may be compromised if only for a short period of
time, set up to start exploiting visitors. However, the likelihood of
that is slim. What is more likely is a malformed URL on one of those
infamous "typo" sites which rely on typo URL for popular sites (like
Amizon.com, etc.) A simply typo could lead you to a malformed page.

Interestingly enough, Microsoft is taking actions in the form of a
"Honey Monkey" project. They are using unpatched systems to scour the
web for sites and reporting them to the proper authorities. See
http://research.microsoft.com/HoneyMonkey/

--
Christopher Canova, Student