WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: "Nigerian" SPAM uses vulnerability in web applications?

From: leighm () linuxbandwagon com
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:26:43 +1000

What web app do you suspect is allowing this to happen?

You do know about the recent PHP/pear remote XMLRPC vulnerability?

leigh

Quoting "Ed J. Aivazian" <stealth () arminco com>:

Hello list,

Today I received several spam reports and I guess they are sent
through compromised web application of one of our customers.
The fact is I can't figure out anything from the message headers, also
from X-abuse headers except the exact time and my IP address.
There is no strange traffic/cpu activity at that time and I don't find
any "strange-looking" records in apache access and error logs.
The email message contains the following text:
From Engineer George Ogbedi
Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, (NNPC),
P.o. Box 256 wuse2 Abuja,
Nigerian

Attn: Please

I am Engr. George Ogbedi, The Director of the Contractors Award and
Review
Department with the Nigerian national Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). I
am
contacting you on this business of transferring the sum of
US$23,615,000.00
(Twenty-three million, six hundred and fifteen thousand United Stated
Dollars only) into a safe foreign account and the need is very urgent.
I got
your contact from the internet when i was searching for honest person
who
will assist me to receive the money into your bank account and it is
with
business trust that made me to contact you on this matter. I write to
solicit for the transfer of this money into your account.

This money was generated from an over invoiced contract sum in my
corporation (NNPC).
I am contacting you for your help and partnership for the following
two
reasons:
1. As a civil servant, I am not permitted to own foreign accounts due
civil service code of conduct.
2. My present financial resources as a civil servant will not be
sufficient
for me to handle the transfer alone successfully without financial
assistance from a reliable foreign partner abroad. 20% of this sum
would be
for you as compensation for using your Bank account in transferring
this
money, 5% would be used to reimburse the expenses made by both parties
during the processing of the transferring which include, telephone
bills,
traveling expenses and fees. While 75% is for me.

Please note that I will arrange to meet with you immediately after the
successful conclusion of the transfer, the 75% share of mine will be
used
for investment overseas. Your assistance and co-operation is highly
needed.
I assure you that this transaction is 100% risk free. If you are
interested
I will require your banking information as
mentioned below:

1. Name to be used as beneficiary
2. Your private and confidential telephone/fax number(s).
3. Your bank name and address, your bank telephone and fax number(s).
4. Or if you are not comfortable with providing your existing account,
you
can within the shortest possible time, confidentially open an entirely
new
(Virgin) account for the transaction. I would prefer this arrangement.
hope to conclude this business within the next fourteen (14) working
days.
Looking forward to your anticipated and urgent positive response via
this
e-mail box.

Regards
Eng George Ogbedi.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this matter, or any
ideas that can help me to resolve the situation?
Any kind of help is appreciated!
Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Ed

--
What happened to Java version 2, 3 & 4? Why is Java 1.41 called Java2? What
version is JRE 5? what happened to them? Where did they go? Why do i download

And those java fellas reckon the PHP fellas are disorganised!