WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Entrust - Identity Guard - Any experience?

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:25:01 +1000

I beg to differ slightly.

Two-factor means, to many of us, that there is something in addition to
something-you-know. A hardware token, a printed OTP list, biometric, or a
secured terminal with unique identifying keys/tools.

Digital certs only act as a two-factor tool in the case of 'secured
terminal' models, in all other cases the digitial signature is a remotely
generated flag that a password was verfied at once.  Even digital-certs and
smartcards fall into the remote password verification category in many
implementations.

Lyal