WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: anti-phishing implementation

From: "wilsonc" <wilsonc () mantech-wva com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:18:06 -0400

Bjorn,
        An approach to take for home users (consumers) would probably have
to be like the home user spam tools today, where the scanner 'scores' an
email/website in a range from 1-7 (1 being a legitimate site, 7 being an
identified phishing attempt) and letting the user pick a score where they
want the email/web site flagged and immediately notified about the security
risk. You could assign points for things like:
        *Hex encoded URLs
        *Site's existence less then 1 year
        *Forms without SSL
        *Site/Sender Certificate Issues (revocation, etc -- I don't know
enough about certificates to say what would types of misuse would indicate a
phishing attack, but I'm sure someone from this list could elaborate).
        *Country of Origin does not match specified DNS record
        *Site/Sender exists in phishing database

Each one of those 'violations' could be assigned a point or more, and when
the threshold is met, the user is notified that they're more then likely at
a phishing site.
There's other interesting things you could do with it, like tie it into the
existing anti-phishing tools (like Netcraft's Toolbar) or even a
comprehensive grammar checker (5 (or n) or more errors could result in being
flagged as a 'bad forgery', like those lovely 419 emails).

Just some thoughts I thought I'd share. I used a system like that for
flagging email spam at the university I attended and it worked well for me.
HTH,
Chris.