WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Defeating CAPTCHA

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:32:49 +1000

CAPTCHAs have two major problems:

a) high value systems using CAPTCHAs are already defeated using trivial techniques:

* supply a CAPTCHA to adult websites' "day pass". Works every time. Defeated by a human

b) Legal accessibility in most countries, and *particularly* Australia

Legally, you must not disadvantage disabled users. This has been proven in court time and time again, such as the Sydney Olympics case.

http://www.contenu.nu/socog.html

So you *have* to have a secondary path, which is likely to be far more secure as it will typically involve thinking Turing machines (ie humans). However, what happens if you make it less secure? From a security path, if your disabled path is simpler than the primary path, the attacker wins. E.g. "I am not a terrorist card"

http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0403.html#10

CAPTCHAs are the wrong solution to a poorly articulated problem; we have to come up with something else. Personally, the reason we have CAPTCHAs (and honey nets, another pet hate of mine) is that we are far too lenient on the attackers.

The heirarchy of needs should be aimed at legitimate users, not attackers. Therefore, we need to target, remove and penalize attackers.

thanks,
Andrew