WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Defeating CAPTCHA

From: "wilsonc" <wilsonc () mantech-wva com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:47:35 -0400

I for one, would love it if spammers were forced into using stolen credit
card numbers. First off, there would be no way spammers operating like that
could claim to be a 'legitimate' business. As a consequence, same spammers
were now committing fraud, they'd likely be targeted a lot more. And
companies would be more reluctant to do business with a spammer, if say, for
the purpose of a fraud investigation, their website is taken down for a
week.
Second, if credit card theft increased, we'd see more security measures. My
bank offers a service called "verified by visa". When I log into my bank, I
have the option of reviewing the purchases on my card and approving them or
rejecting them. For internet purchases, such as off Amazon, the purchase
isn't actually completed until I verify that purchase. Now I realize the
security of one of these systems is only as secure as the verification
system (if someone had my bank account username and password and credit card
they could go shopping, but without all three they're out of luck), but so
far, for me, its worked out pretty well. Mass credit card fraud would force
credit card companies to be more secure and eliminate spam, both things I
could live with.