WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: security of _notes dirs

From: Michael Acadia <macadia () macadia net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:30:34 -0400

I'm not very familiar with Contribute so I hesitate to guess at how big a security problem this is, but it certainly doesn't seem like "a good thing."

From what I've found on the Macromedia site (such as
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/mx2004/using/07_cont8.htm ),
Contribute needs to be able to access that file in order to work properly in a managed setup.

The PDF 'Deploying Contribute' (
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/contribute/articles/deploying_contrib_guide1/deploying_contrib_guide1.pdf ) makes for interesting reading. Macromedia assumes that the server admin will take responsibility for hiding/preventing public access to these files. I like the assertion that "most search engines and automated programs are designed not to return pages found in folders whose names begin with an underscore" (p.6). Seems they forgot about Google :)

-michael

Mailing List wrote:
I've found something worse, a file called contribute.xml which contains
a password. I'm going to have a look to see if I can find out how the
password is stored and if it can be decrypted/broken in some way.

here is an example of the bit of the file I'm interested in:

<macromedia_dreamweaver_hub write_vers_major="3" read_vers_major="4"
read_vers_minor="0">
<site_name value="my clients site"/>
<revision_history_levels value="3"/>
<admin_password value="8FB744BAAA1F1BBBE8CDACCCAECDDD2F"/>
<admin_e_mail2 value="676F7AAA6F6E4BBB77616E6EBBBD6F72CCC6E2E63DDDD"/>

A quick google for

inurl:contribute.xml

shows lots of these files around, I can't have just found a massive
security failing can I? I must be missing something somewhere.

Robin