WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Ajax Security discussion for the OWASP Guide

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:45:16 +1000

Hi there,

I am writing a section on AJAX for the OWASP Guide, and since it's so shiny, I'd thought I'd run my thoughts past you folks.

1. It's Web Services Lite.

(Spoofing)

Therefore, many of the issues facing unauthenticated web services apply to Ajax, too. If you are using AJAX without session management, it should be unable to perform any tasks a guest cannot do.

2. Validate like crazy

(Tampering)

Just because the process is hidden from the user, doesn't mean that the incoming request is safe to handle without validation. Validate all inbound requests properly.

3. SSL when necessary

(Repudiation)

Ajax may not be visible to the user, but it still exposes the user to confidentiality attacks if sensitive information is transmitted in either direction. Use SSL to protect privacy and integrity, whilst realizing that SSL is not "security" in and of itself.

4. POST please

(Information Disclosure)

Again, it's easy to use GET, but this remains in the browser history and many intermediate logs.

If the Ajax request allows you to fill in information about another user, make sure the caller is authorized to receive that information. For example, if you provide an Ajax request to find all posts by a user on a forum, make sure the posts are filtered to only include those the user would normally be able to see, or if you are writing a transaction history query, make sure the query only runs against accounts the user has access to.

5. Simple and fast handling

(Denial of Service)

Ajax could be used as a DoS target, particularly, if the requests are doing significant chunks of work for unauthenticated clients. Be careful about implementing long running tasks, which is a typical scenario for Ajax (do something slow behind the user's back, to make the page feel fast).

6. Ensure the Ajax path is properly access controlled

(Elevation of privilege)

Ajax is a relatively new technology with many immature implementations. Make sure that all requests are properly authenticated and authorized to prevent users performing tasks which would allow them to become higher privilege users than they already are. For example, don't allow Ajax to perform administration tasks for just anyone.

--

Thoughts?

thanks,
Andrew