WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: GET and POST Methods Accepted

From: "Joe Teff" <joe () joeteff com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:19:42 -0500

I'll refer back to my original response.

GET parameters are cached in the browser and logged on the server (I'm
assuming SSL here). This can lead to replay attempts and data exposure.

These are problems that POST does not have.

If your site expects POST requests, then a GET request can respresent an
attack (someone is trying values in the address line or maybe scripted).

This is a Detective measure rather than a Preventative measure.

I'll include another potential exposure by having sensative data in URLs.
If there are any embedded http links in a page, then the URL (including
paramters) are inserted into the HTTP Referer. Lets say you use an HTTP
site for caching graphics. All requests for those graphics will include
the URL of the page.

Joe