WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Smells like a phish, is a fish?

From: Mike Kuriger <m () wb com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:23:29 -0700

I got that same email from them.  I also transferred my domaines to a
different registrar.

`mike`

Andrew van der Stock wrote:

I have my domains registered with a popular registrar, and they've
sent the most phishy e-mail I've ever seen from a major provider:

---

Dear Andrew van der Stock,

It's that time of year again. ICANN (the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers) annually requires that all accredited
registrars (like Go Daddy(R)) ask their domain administrators/
registrants to review domain name contact data, and make any changes
necessary to ensure accuracy.

To review/update your contact data, simply:
     + Go to www.godaddy.com/?isc=ICANNKEY
     + Click on the "ICANN Domain Confirmation" icon at the top of
the page
     + You will be taken to a landing page and asked to enter your
Domain Information Key: <removed>
     + Enter your key and click "Go."

(more phish deleted)
---

I confirmed with the registrar that indeed they did send this phishy
e-mail. How do we get through to large organizations - who really
should know better - that they most of all shouldn't smell like a
phish market?

thanks,
Andrew