WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: HTTP REFERER not set in Internet Explorer

From: "Amichai Shulman" <shulman () imperva com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:39:36 +0200

1.- I don't think that HTTP_REFERER can be used for security purposes.
It is totally controlled by the client and an attacker using whatever
tool of choice can insert the correct value any time.

2.- The phenomena is due to your use of javascript to invoke navigation.
It seems that when javascript is used for navigation in IE, the referer
field is left blank (this might be considered by some a security measure
against XSS and such)

Amichai Shulman
CTO

Imperva, Inc.