WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Oracle External Users

From: "Amichai Shulman" <shulman () imperva com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 08:41:49 +0200

AFAK using OS authentication for remote connection to the database in
Oracle is highly insecure. There is no mechanism to prevent the abuse of
OS authenticated accounts by a remote attacker, if
REMOTE_OS_AUTHENTICATION is set to TRUE. Basically the database server
relies on the username as embedded in the TNS connect message. The
contents of this field can be replaced using simple tools. This issue
has been documented long ago.

There are other mechanisms that allow an Oracle database server to rely
on an external authentication and user management system. Namely, the
Enterprise User account type is used for this purpose.

Amichai Shulman
CTO

Imperva, Inc.
12 Hachilazon St.