WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Security of magic_quotes_gpc under PHP against SQL injection

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:58:20 +0100

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 11. Dezember 2005 07:55 schrieb Todd Hendricks:

My question is, what are some ways around magic_quotes that I need to watch
out for..

as always, it depends on how you use it. E. g. it's mostly useless if your
statements look like

... SELECT whatever FROM whereever WHERE id = $input ...

Also, some databases don't consider the backslash an escape character.
And I've seen cases where some kind of (incomplete) double-escaping was
done, cancelling out the effect of magic_quotes. (I. e. ' was turned
into \\'.)

and as a followup, if it's such a bad security idea, why was it
included at all much less enabled by default (this seems to smack of the
register_globals problem, only to a lesser extent)?

Like most of PHP's "security features" is was introduced as a workaround
for stupid developers who don't know or care about security. Like most of
PHP's "security features", it works some of the time but in the end
fails to be a complete solution to the underlying problem, i. e. developer
incompetence. It's a bad security idea because it gives developers a
warm, fuzzy feeling instead of encouraging them to *learn* secure
programming.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany