WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: mod_ibm_ssl & mod_ssl

From: Esteban Martinez Fayo <secemf () yahoo com ar>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:14:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

IBM rarely issues advisories, not because their
products don't have security bugs, but because they
don't want the people to know about them.
I discovered and reported to them some vulnerabilities
in IBM WebSphere last year, some of them are fixed
now, but they never published advisories.

For example this one:
Remote Buffer overflow in WebSphere Application Server
Administrative Console
http://www.appsecinc.com/resources/alerts/general/WEBSPHERE-001.html
Has no advisory from IBM. They just included one line
of information in the List of Updates
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg27004990
as APAR PK02002.
As you can see the option for more information about
the APAR PK02002 is disabled, there is no link.

Also there is a cross site scripting that I discovered
that is fixed for IBM WAS version 5.
It is listed as fixed in APAR PQ99687 but there is no
advisory from IBM.

I don't think that hiding this kind of information
will make IBM customers to be more secure.

Regards,

Esteban Martínez Fayó
Argeniss - Information Security
http://www.argeniss.com

--- jipi dini <jipidini () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

   what is used in mod_ibm_ssl with WebSphere?
   I am wondering in an advisory affecting mod_ssl
is also affecting
mod_ibm_ssl.

  Seems like there is never any advisories relased
for WebSphere.
  This is built on top of apache right ?

--
Thanks,