WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: applet security

From: "Andrew Chong" <andrewjw () singnet com sg>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:27:49 +0800

Just a quick comment, not thorough though.

I believe the auditor concern is on the client-side when the applet is
run on the users browser.

You can question the auditor concern in what specific areas he is
concern with. i.e. does the applet code run in a sand-box?

Does the auditor want to do a code review? Does the applet write any
files to the user computer? If yes, what are the control to ensure
privacy issues. Does the applet send user information back to the your
server. If so, what type of information? Finacial, restricted, public
available? (data classificaton)

Logically, most auditors will ask what are the technically controls and
management controls for your server side (servlets, ASP, PERL, CGI)
rather than client end.

Regards,
Andrew Chong, CISSP