WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: PayPal Phishing Site Exploits Google XSS Vulnerability

From: shwaya () gmail com
Date: 12 Jan 2006 16:42:52 -0000

I can't view the video and the article doesn't have much information. Does anyone have a write-up of the video?

Yes there are other sites vulnerable to this kind of XSS, but none of them
carry the same brand name.

Two questions:

1) Maybe I'm missing something having not seen the video, but can we clarify what "kind of XSS" we're talking about
here? Are you refering to the UTF-7 vuln in Google's 404 page (supposedly fixed), or the fact that the page can be used
as a redirect to any site?

2) If the redirection is the problem, what steps should sites take to make sure that they are not vulnerable to being
used as a phishing vector? One
obvious step would be to only redirect to a list of known urls. What else can be done?

There are in fact other brand-name sites, such as amazon.com, that have redirect urls. What is amazon doing right that
prevents it from being used as a phishing vector?