WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: ual Factor/Adaptive Authentication

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 07:56:36 -0700

On 5/3/06, Casey DeBerry <cdeberry () cobizinc com> wrote:
If you are in any way governed by FFIEC, this is your MO for 2006.  I
had an introduction to RSA's offering today which included recently
purchased Passmark, and Cyota's converged solution.  Initially, I was

BofA uses Passmark (see http://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/passmark/
). The security concerns of Passmark was dicussed on Full disclosure
see:
http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2005/May/0629.html

Passmark technology tries to solve the machine authentication problem
using encrypted cookies. The idea looks good, but I don't know how
safe it is.

I would personally wait till Passmark and similar technologies utilize
TPM (Trusted Platform Module) to perform a mutual authentication
before I can consider replacing physical hardware tokens with
Passmark.

But then again a TPM does NOT replace a USB cryptographic key device /
token. They compliement each other. A USB token/smart card
authenticates the user whereas a TPM authenticates a machine.

I guess use of passmark instead of physical tokens will depend on the
security needs of the system.....

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net