WebApp Sec mailing list archives

viral phishing

From: "dpw" <dainw () fsr com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:48:59 -0700

I just read this in the Haval Daar security newsletter:

American Express has issued a warning about what it calls a false security
measures pop-up screen that appears when users log in to its secure site.
The credit card and travel services company posted an alert on its website
about the pop-up which tries to lure the user into entering name, social
security number, mother's maiden name and date of birth. The company has
further stated that the pop-up is the not result of a compromise of its
website. Rather, it appears to be caused by a virus residing on the user's
machine. Researchers tracking malicious Internet activity say the fake
pop-up is a classic example of a banking Trojan targeting specific financial
institutions. Such Trojans are usually spammed as attachments or URLs to
malicious Web sites and stealthily infect unpatched computers running
without anti-virus protection.

related:
http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,24381,00.asp

I haven't heard of this before - pretty clever.

Dain White

Senior Developer / Webmaster
First Step Internet - www.fsr.com
208-882-8869 ext. 440