WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [SC-L] By default, the Verifier is disabled on .Net and Java

From: Stephen de Vries <stephen () corsaire com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:47:47 +0700

Stephen de Vries wrote:

With application servers such as Tomcat, WebLogic etc, I think we have a
special case in that they don't run with the verifier enabled - yet they
appear to be safe from type confusion attacks.  (If you check the
startup scripts, there's no mention of running with -verify).

OK.

The difference between the app servers and a regular compiled Java app
is that the servers load  code dynamically and use reflection to access
fields and methods, so the app servers have no static knowledge of the
types defined in user code.

Apologies for the above incorrect statement.  App servers _do_ have
knowledge of the static type since they define the base classes in the
servlet and other API's.

The IllegalAccessError is generated when you try and access a private
method through the reflection API - and since the type checking is done
dynamically, it would be difficult (impossible?) to perform a type
confusion attack on code that isn't statically typed.  Code below
illustrates reflection access control in a simple app.

So, I'll rephrase this as: The Tomcat error looks suspiciously like a
reflection access control error, but it could be down to the type
checking done through the dynamic class loading - and not necessarily
the reflection API.

package classloader;

import java.lang.reflect.Method;
import somepackage.MyData;

public class Main {

    public Main() {
    }

        try {

            Class myClass = MyData.class;
            Object obj = myClass.newInstance();
            Method m = myClass.getDeclaredMethod("getName", new Class[] {});
            System.out.println(m.invoke(obj, new Object[] {}).toString());
        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

}

package somepackage;

public class MyData {
    private String name;

    public MyData() {
        name = "No one can read me";
    }

    private String getName() {
        return name;
    }
}

Executing the app produces:

java.lang.IllegalAccessException: Class classloader.Main can not access
a member of class somepackage.MyData with modifiers "private"
        at sun.reflect.Reflection.ensureMemberAccess(Reflection.java:65)
        at classloader.Main.main(Main.java:41)

--
Stephen de Vries
Corsaire Ltd