WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [Owasp-london] Next Owasp-london meeting on Web Application Firewalls

From: martin () sandren se
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:52:23 +0200

I am thinking that it would be a good idea to do the next Owasp-London
meeting at the same time of the InfoSecurity conference in London (25th
to 27th of April) on the topic "Web Application Firewalls: Where do they
add value and who should be using them'

Excellent idea.

The format would be to have one or several vendors come in and do a 15m
presentation about their product (probably using it to defend against
SiteGenerator) followed by a panel discussion about them.

My main objective for the night will be to highlight the areas where Web
Application Firewalls are very effective (and deliver real value), and
the areas where they are useless.

A couple of months ago I was at a OWASP Boston meeting with a similar topic. It was very interesting and I learned a
lot. Netcontinuum (http://www.netcontinuum.com/) did the presentation and they or one of their distributors might be
intrested in speaking in London as well.

Perhaps you should consider giving the vendor a bit more time to explain the concepts and ideas behind application
firewalls. In Boston I think the talk was 60 minutes.

If Netcontinuum looks interesting I can ask them if they are interested in speaking.

Best regards
/M