WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Canonicalization

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:17:45 +0200

susam_pal () yahoo co in wrote:
I am writing some examples. Please tell me if these are the examples
of Canonicalization.

1. When an web application gets parameters from a GET request or POST
request, and if that parameter is going to be used as a part of an
SQL query, then the programmer must take care to convert the
single-quote (') to two single-quotes('') for Oracle Database in
order to prevent SQL injection. Is this canonicalization?

2. Take a guestbook of a site. The feedback given is going to appear
back in the web-page. Here we need to take care that things like
"<font>" should be converted to "&gt;font&lt;" before it appears on
the page. Is this a case of canonicalization?

No. Neither of those are examples of canonicalization. Both would probably be called meta-character escaping, or something similar. In example 1, the quote is a metacharacter that would be treated as special by the SQL parser, and in example 2, the angle brackets < and > are metacharacters that would be treated as special by the HTML parser.

As I previously explained, examples of canonicalization are converting filenames or strings to their simplest possible representation:

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\..\..\..\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

becomes

c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

through a process of filesystem path canonicalization.

and

http://victim.example.org/..%c0%af..%c0%af..%c0%af..%c0%afWindows%c0%afSystem32%c0%afcmd.exe

becomes

http://victim.example.org/../../../Windows/System32.cmd.exe

through a process of unicode canonicalization.

Hope this helps.

Rogan