WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Protecting posted variables

From: Meder Kydyraliev <meder () o0o nu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:07:37 +0800

Well it is really a client-side solution, rather than server-side,
because in order for you to encrypt user-supplied data there has to be
Javascript/ActiveX/Applet that would encrypt parameters before posting.
I've seen many developers implementing that to "prevent tampering with
parameters", which was easily bypassed by either modifying parameters in
the HTTP response that preceeds request  (e.g. changing hidden parameter
value), or by injecting Javascript that would change any parameter through
DOM, at any time.

Why not use SSL anyway?

Meder