WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OS XSS and SQL scanner

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 18:33:21 +0200

Eoin wrote:
Hi,
RE:
"This situation is no doubt due to the utter lack of skill
and understanding of the subject on the part of the authors."

I thought these tools were to assist one, so not as much skill is required?
Otherwise one would do it in a manual fashion?

What does one think?

-ek

I'd say that the tools are absolutely there to assist one. However, that does not in any way mean that you can simply point and click, and get meaningful results.

I'd use such a tool to perform the automatable drudge work. As mentioned before by various persons, that includes checking for trivial XSS, HTTP header injection, and SQL injection vulnerabilities.

I certainly wouldn't trust it to run without supervision (certainly not the FIRST time), and place reliance on its results. All results need to be checked for tool failures that could easily be confused for "pass" results. e.g. undetected session invalidation, account lockout, etc

That's one of the reasons that I don't try to do any automated analysis of the results generated by the WebScarab fuzzer. I *WANT* the operator to take a look at all of the responses, and make up their own minds. The value of the Fuzzer is really to automate the repetitive "try this string in this parameter", in all possible permutations, so that the user does not have to do all the clicks and typing themselves. But analysing the results should be a job for a human.

Someone who *knows* what they are looking at.

IMO.

Rogan

On 01/08/06, Arian J. Evans <arian.evans () anachronic com> wrote:

> [...]

Hate to take this a little off topic, but do you have any facts
that can support or back up these claims? Any data produced by
anyone competent that speaks to your "false positives" and also
your "false negatives"?

I have failed to read a review yet to date that contains useful
information. So far what I've read varies from useless data
organized around features like "reflective buttons" (e.g.-the
Acunetix review posted to this list written by some woman
who writes windows software articles) to the other extreme
of uninformed opinion and inability to keep features between
the products straight (secure enterprise computing review).
This includes infosec magazine and online reviews, bake-offs,
and Gartner-style evals. Every one I have read so far is garbage.

Not one covers actual tests run & and the how & why around them.

This situation is no doubt due to the utter lack of skill
and understanding of the subject on the part of the authors.

However, I think all on this list would welcome information
of a high-quality nature regarding scanner quality, if you
have anything like that to point us at.

-ae

Do you test web applications for XSS, SQL Injections, Buffer Overflows,
Logical issues and other web application security threats? Why not
automate this work with Watchfire's AppScan, the world's leading
automated web application scanner. Download AppScan today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscancamp.aspx?id=701300000008BP9