WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Comparison report on web app security scanners now translated to English

From: Rogan Dawes <rogan () dawes za net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:22:51 +0200

Holger.Peine () iese fraunhofer de wrote:
On May 5th, I posted the URL for a comparison report on web app security
scanners
to this list:
http://fhgonline.fraunhofer.de/server?suche-publica&num=048.06/D&iese
Here is what I wrote about the contents of the report at that time:
"As I had mentioned in another posting to this list some time ago,
a few months ago I completed a fairly extensive review of various
tools: AppScan, WebInspect, Acunetix, (note AppScan and WebInspect
have produced new versions since then), Burp, WebScarab, Spike Proxy, and some minor remarks on a few other tools. I used two applications as benchmarks: WebGoat and a proprietary application in production use. The report totals to about 170 pages."

However, at that time in May, there was no English translation of the
German original, which many people have asked for meanwhile. Yesterday, I was surprised to hear that Cenzic Inc. have had the report translated. So here is the English version now, a bit rough on the edges, but you will
certainly
get the picture:
http://www.iese.fraunhofer.de/download/Security-Checker-Tools-for-Web-Ap
plications.pdf
(that link will be valid for four weeks from today).

My thanks go to Cenzic for this contribution to the community.

Kind regards,
Holger Peine

Hi Holger,

I read with interest the translated version of your document. One thing that amused me a lot is the report of how Spike Proxy supports VulnXML.

In fact, the 1500-odd VulnXML tests that SpikeProxy ships with were actually created by myself from the Nikto database available at the time, using a simple script. I doubt that they have been updated since then (although I have not checked).

You might wonder why WebScarab never implemented the VulnXML tests, since I created the specification. In fact, I concluded that in order to achieve a meaningful spectrum of tests using VulnXML, we would have to define and implement a near-Turing-complete language. XML is clearly not the right tool for such a task, and so the effort languished and died.

To summarise, a tester would get better results by using an up-to-date version of Nikto, rather than relying on the VulnXML tests in Spike Proxy. (assuming they were not updated and extended from the original set created)

Regards,

Rogan Dawes

P.S. Thanks a lot for your work in comparing these tools. I can see that you went to a lot of effort to test them, and your/Fraunhofer's publishing of the results to the broader community is much appreciated!