WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Mitm new?

From: "ROB DIXON" <rdixon () workforcewv org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:10:34 -0400

I'm not even sure that is technically a MITM attack.

----------------------------
Please take note of my new e-mail address:
rdixon () wvgot org
-----------------------------
Robert L. Dixon,  C|HFI
State of West Virginia's
West Virginia Office of Technology
Infrastructure Applications
Netware/GroupWise Administrator
If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- former White House cybersecurity czar Richard Clarke
"Jeff Robertson" <jeff.robertson () digitalinsight com>  >>>
Why are man-in-the-middle phishing sites suddenly talked about as a
"new" threat, as if there was rocket science involved?

For instance
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/citibank_phish_spoofs
_2factor_1.html

These things are basically proxies, which are as old as the web. Why
does it surprise anyone to see these combined with phishing? (Then
again, I still haven't figured out why phishing as we know it didn't
"take off" circa 1994)

Jeff Robertson
Manager of Web Application Security
Digital Insight

Watchfire was recently named the worldwide market leader in Web
application security assessment tools by both Gartner and IDC.
Download a free trial of AppScan today and see why more customers choose
AppScan then any other solution. Try it today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscancamp.aspx?id=701500000008VnB