WebApp Sec mailing list archives

web application, data classification and database security

From: test.future () gmail com
Date: 26 Sep 2006 08:11:08 -0000

Dear all,

In our organization, after several years of integration effort, now our database is integrated to one physical box. The
web applications which require database access are all intranet with login. However, things change. Now we are
developing internet web apps which need database access also, some require login, some not. We are also developing
intranet no-login apps with database access. The DBA is very much concerned with the security of the database. Should
we segregate internet and intranet application infrastructure? That means one set of web server, app server and
database server for internet apps, another set for intranet apps. Or should we classify the apps based on whether they
need login? Or data criticality classification? What's the industry best practices? Thanks for any advice.