WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Detection

From: <Jeremy_Powell () sbcss k12 ca us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:31:43 -0700

Post compromise detection, especially if the compromiser is employing root
kit type functionality can be almost impossible from the compromised system
itself as long as it is still running the compromised system software.
Frequently, you will have to boot from a forensics based system to assess the
state of a suspect system.  Determining that a system is suspect and in need
of such treatment is equally difficult, but frequently the compromiser will
use the compromised system to go after bigger fish or to distribute sotware
or run some unexpected server functionality.  Some tools we have found useful
in noticing computers doing both legitimate and illegitimate unexpected
things include:

1) Regular or automated log management and analysis
2) Flow capture and analysis such as with ipcad and the flow tools from
splintered.net
3) An internal Intrustion detection system is helpful in observing the spread
of compromise that either made it unnoticed into the organization or began
internally and was targetted internally.
4) Vulnerability scanners such as Nessus often turn up unexpected
functionality on a system that is either compromise, misconfiguration, or
ignorance.

Here are some URLs:

http://lionet.info/ipcad/
http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/
http://www.nessus.org
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&sort=&showonly=forensic

I know my list is decidely UN*X based you can find windows based tools as
well.

Jeremy Powell