WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Cookies as the second factor

From: "Robin Wood" <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:02:51 +0100

Javascript could be used to generate the cookie which is then passed
back to the server with each request. This would save having to make
sure a value was posted or passed on the query string on each request.

Don't have time to think about how good this would be for
authentication but I think techincally it can be done.

Robin

On 7/18/06, Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net> wrote:
Jeff Robertson wrote:
> It seems like it's been mentioned on here before, that a number of "two
> factor" or "multi factor" authentication schemes actually use a cookie
> as the second factor.
>
> Anyone here have specific experience with such solutions, or opinions
> about how much security they add to a system?

Sounds completely bogus to me.

The cookie is typically generated by the server, as a response to an
authentication event (single or multi-factor). The cookie is then used
to maintain that authentication from request to request.

There is NO authentication component in such a cookie. It is created by
the SERVER, and as such CANNOT qualify as an authentication factor at all.

Rogan

AppScan 6.5 is now available! New features for Web Services Testing,
Advanced Automated Capabilities for Penetration Testers, PCI Compliance
Reporting, Token Analysis, Authentication testing, Automated JavaScript
execution and much more.
Download a Free Trial of AppScan today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscancamp.aspx?id=70150000000CYkc