WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Disable SSL v2 ciphers on IIS 5.0

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:39:06 -0400

secmail.lists () gmail com wrote:
All -

I am looking to have a client disable SSL v2 ciphers on IIS 5.0 any idea on how to do it? I checked technet and others
and it seems to be a mistery. I reommended the follwing:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187498/en-us

The admin made the registry changes and bounced the server yet the ciphers still report they are available (note I used
openssl s_client ... to test)

Thanks
Don

Don,

The ciphers can be used with the SSLv2 and SSLv3 protocols. Even if the SSLv2 protocol has been disabled, the same ciphers can be used with an SSLv3 connection. This may be a misunderstanding on my part however as you appear to be attempting to disable the protocol its self. You could ask the client to export the registry keys from the server so you could verify the correct entries. I would also inquire about any firewalls/proxies/etc in between you and the server you are testing against. Perhaps the another device along the route could be handling the SSL?

--Eoin