WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Application Vulnerability Assessment Tools

From: "Arian J. Evans" <arian.evans () anachronic com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:39:48 -0500

The lack of info is because, in this domain,
there really isn't anything in the "automated
web app scanner" domain worth using.

For manual testing, there are a ton of tools.

Undertaking the creation of one is challenging.

The variables are certainly far, far higher
than harnessing a scripted testing engine
and regex matcher to a port scanner/protocol
fingerprinter, a'la Nessus.

This is a much harder problem, more variables,
and not many folks do a good job at it. (These
are smart folks too, but it's a hard problem).

</free_lunch>

-ae