WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: How to find the login name of a user accessing my website

From: "Maxime Ducharme" <mducharme () cybergeneration com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:43:39 -0500

Hello

Depends if you are using Windows auth to secure a web site

This configuraiton will prompt the user for a login when
accessing web site

if there is no pompt when accessing your web site, username
is "anonymous", i.e. IUSR_MACHINENAME where MACHINENAME
is the name of your server

This user is logged in IIS log file, ensure cs-username
is checked in IIS logging, then open the log file

Another way to extract this user from HTTP commnication
is to capture 1 HTTP request from the client and read the
HTTP header "Authorization"

if the first string you see is "Basic", you can extract
username and password from the second string which
is username:password encoded in base64

So the complete header for someuser / somepass would be :

Authorization: Basic c29tZXVzZXI6c29tZXBhc3M=

use base64 tools to decode it :
http://www.rbl.jp/base64.php
http://josefsson.org/base64/

HTH