WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: White List Proxy ?

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:24:58 -0500

What I imagined is a type of white list proxy which examines website
content before feeding it to the
user, it determines if there is any malicious code in the page, if there
is it will deny the page to the
user, if not it will provide it to the user and add the site to the white
list for 24 hours.

Just to be clear, what you've described is not a whitelist, it's something
along the lines of an IPS... with flaws.  The idea of temporarily
whitelisting a site - especially for 24 hours - based on its ability to pass
an in-line inspection (to what scope and depth?) is an overextension of
trust.  Plus, this is a proxy, so you can actually examine ALL of the
content, unlike a typical NIDS.  Unless it's encrypted, of course, in which
case you're still screwed.  No offense, but I wouldn't buy this product, so
I hope nobody makes this product.

This technique would be similar to how antivirus works in scanning files
before allowing open/run
actions.

Does anyone know of software that currently does this or something
similar? Thoughts ?

If what you want is a web proxy that does AV scanning, there are lots of
options.

squid-vscan: http://www.openantivirus.org/projects.php
Blue Coat: http://www.bluecoat.com/products/av/index.html
F-Secure: http://www.f-secure.com/anti-virus/webclub/fsigk.shtml