WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: NTLM Authenthication,

From: Shaon Diwakar <shaon.diwakar () yahoo com au>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 22:39:28 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I'd agree with Eric here; on previous penetration
tests I have seen applications solely using NTLM
authentication.

However as both Eric and Amit have pointed out, the
ideal situation would require that the application
uses NTLM authentication in addition to typical forms
based log-on.

While NTLM is good to use as another control
mechanism, it is possible to spoof another user
(assuming that you have knowledge of their LAN
ID/Pass) using proxies like Burp and thus gaining the
privileges/access rights of that user.

It could be better to have the application using some
type of interface to AD in its business logic as
opposed to using NTLM as the primary method of access
control.

Cheers,
sHz

--- "McCarty, Eric C." <emccarty () er ucsd edu> wrote:

This is a pretty common method for access control.
Using integrated
authentication such as active directory you can
avoid maintaining
multiple user account databases. In addition you can
reduce
administrative overhead by assigning access based of
accounts you are
already familiar with.

I imagine there is some type of persistent token
that the user receives
such as a session ID that would keep the App from
re-applying
authentication logic to each page. For example you
create groups within
the application that you add NT Users to, (Admins,
Power Users, Users,
etc.) that dictate level of access within the
application. Once
authenticated the app provides some token to keep
this access persistent
within the application.

It would only be traffic intensive if it
re-authenticated every page,
this would be slower, yes, but not significantly
unless it was a heavy
usage application with slow DC's.

Eric McCarty
CISSP, CISA, Security+, MCSE ....