WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: preventing sign up forms from being used for user enumeration

From: Nathan Bijnens <nbijnens () servs eu>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:53:42 +0200

Let people enter an email address. If it isn't used mail them with a
unique link to continue the registration process. If it is allready used
don't send a mail?

Robin Wood wrote:
Hi
I'm developing a application which requires users to sign up with both
a username and an email address. I only want an email address to sign
up once and don't want duplication of usernames.

If I just put up a warning stating that an email address is already
registered if it is, the form is open to being used for user
enumeration. Apart from using things like captchas to try to defeat
automated attacks, is there any way to stop this?

I know on things like forgotten password forms you can ask for extra
info so someone guessing would have to get both bits right but I can't
think of a way to do this here.

Robin