WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Anti-DDoS Appliance with a focus on Web Code Exploits (Comment Spam, and the like)

From: Josh Amishav-Zlatin <josh () ramat cc>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:13:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Eric Marden wrote:

I've just started with a company running Coldfusion Apps on Windows.
Too much code for me to audit quickly, but need some recommendations
on something we can put at the network perimeter that will sniff
incoming traffic only for weird patterns.... like if a guest book
gets hit 100 times in 10 secs from the same IP it will just start to
block....

It shouldn't worry about outgoing, just incoming.

Didn't think Snort was for this, or other IDS type systems.
Commercial or Open Source (OS Preferred) will be considered. An
Appliance if its Commercial. We need something quick and easy.

For the problem you specified above, you could take care of with an
iptables rule using the limit flag. If your looking for a quick fix to
provide some general web application protection, take a look at setting
up mod-security.

--
 - Josh