WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Top webapp pentesting vendors?

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:30:25 -0700

I'll keep this to vendors since I don't want to pimp my own company for the
consulting portion of the question (trying to keep this advice neutral...
but if you want to contact me off-list we kick ass in this area. Just
sayin'... *grin*)

I've used SPI Dynamic's WebInspect many times in the past both as an
engagement-based license and as an annual purchase customer and can attest
that the product is top notch. SPI was bought by HP so it's HP WebInspect
now.

Watchfire's AppScan is also an excellent product. With the newest release
you have the ability to use external modules/apps for various call-out
purposes or data dumps so it provides a fairly nice framework workspace with
a lot of flexibility and extension. I don't have as much hands-on with their
newest as WebInspect but they have consistently been solid.

Others have mentioned vendors to look into but you have to realize that
without some in-house expertise to get the best ROI and performance from
these tools you're only going to catch the low-hanging fruit. If your
application environment is very complex automated tools will only get you so
far and will miss a lot. If these are major concerns then you may be better
off going with a services solution provider that specializes in the area.
You don't specify if this is compliance driven which is another factor to
consider. Some consulting shops will provide great results from a
vulnerability assessment viewpoint but may not be able to adequately address
compliance or auditing concerns.

Hope you find the info you are looking for,

--
Erin Carroll
amoeba () amoebazone com