WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Cookie Secure Attribute - Clarification

From: arvind doraiswamy <arvind.doraiswamy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:48:21 +0530

Hey Guys,
A little bit of clarification needed about the 'Secure' attribute to
be set in a Cookie. I'm looking at Section 4.3.1 in the
RFC(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt) for the Secure attribute.
What I understand is - If I programatically set the Cookie attribute
of say a Session ID to Secure - it shouldn't be sent over an insecure
channel. Meaning if I have a web server which has HTTP and HTTPS
enabled, the Secure cookie should NOT be sent if I access the website
over HTTP. However for some stupid reason which I cannot understand -
it does get sent even over a HTTP channel. First I though it was coz I
was accessing the site over localhost , and Secure pertained only to
stuff on the Network. But its the same behavior over the n/w as well -
anyone accessing my server over HTTP over the n/w..a cookie gets set
with the Secure attribute and sent in clear text over the n/w.

Surely something in my implementation or understanding is incorrect.
What am I missing?

Thnx
Arvind

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus