WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: At what layer to hash a password

From: Niels Teusink <teusink () fox-it com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:37:54 +0200

As I see it you have three options: on the client in javascript, in the application or in the database

On the client seems nice, but there are both advantages and disadvantages
+ you hash the password before it's even sent to the server, so the server never actually has the plaintext password
- you'll have to implement some challenge/response scheme, or the password can simply be replayed
- if you implement challenge/response, your client has to do something like this:
hash(hash($password+$salt)+$challenge). This means that an attacker could authenticate with hash($password+$salt)
instead of the password, which is the thing that is stored in your database (passing-the-hash attack) and the attacker
won't have to crack the passwords to authenticate as a user if he breaks into the database
- some people use it as an SSL alternative but it's not a very good one (a skilled attacker in a MITM position just
grabs the session cookie or changes the javascript on-the-fly to submit the plaintext password as well). It does offer
some protection from passive sniffing though
- needs javascript to be enabled

In the application
+ it's easy and you can hash the password just after receiving it
- your application still receives the password in plaintext, it temporarily ends up in memory in lots of places (but an
attacker will probably modify your app instead of going through RAM)

In the database
+ one system for all your applications (but if you want to change the algorithm you run into problems with existing
passwords anyway)
- you have to do something like UPDATE users SET password = MYHASH('plaintextsecretpass'||salt) WHERE id=1 and your
password will end up plaintext in your database logs.

I tend to do it in the application just after receiving the password. I really like the approach of native database
accounts as well, but you'll have to store the plaintext password (or a connection handle if you can) in the user
session.

No perfect solution I guess :) (especially if you have the multiple interfaces thing to take into account)

Niels