WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: mysql selecting into outfile in an insert

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:02:18 +0100

On 21 July 2010 01:41, Camilo Uribe <camilo.uribe () gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Robin Wood <robin () digininja org> wrote:

On 20 July 2010 21:13, Spiros Antonatos <antonat () ics forth gr> wrote:
You need to check if you have permissions to read/write files
from mysql. Normally, non-root users do not have permission to
call LOAD_FILE and INTO OUTFILE.

Not sure on the vulnerable app I'm testing but in my lab I'm on as
root and can run the "select into outfile" fine.

Look for the file privilege:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/privileges-provided.html#priv_file

By the way as a security measure, mysql will not overwrite existing files.

As I said, on my box I'm root, I've all the privs available and the
"into outfile" works fine on its own.

Robin

Robin

Spiros

I've got a vulnerable web app with a MySQL backend where I can inject
into an INSERT query and I want to create a file. With a SELECT I
would use a UNION and then SELECT whatever INTO OUTFILE "filename" but
how do you do it with an INSERT query?

I tried:

INSERT INTO size VALUES (22, (SELECT "abc" INTO OUTFILE "/tmp/test")) ;

That executes and size gets a new row with 22 and "abc" in it but it
doesn't create the file.

I also tried an UPDATE and had the same problem:

UPDATE size SET big=22 WHERE big =  (SELECT "abc" INTO OUTFILE
"/tmp/test");

The update happens where big="abc" but no outfile.

Can it be done?

Robin

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus