WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: fail2ban

From: robert () webappsec org
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:02:09 -0400 (EDT)

Perry is correct.

Using firewall based filtering is the ideal solution so as not to use web server resources.

- Robert A.
http://www.cgisecurity.com/
http://www.webappsec.org/
http://www.qasec.com/

Kai,

You could consider using low-level kernel level parameters, provided by
netfilter (if Linux), to limit the traffic before ever reaching your
application..:

# Limit the number of incoming tcp connections
$IPTABLES -N SYN_FLOOD
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -i $IF0 -s $ANY -d $IP0 -m multiport --dport
80,443 --syn -j SYN_FLOOD

# Accounting by IP
$IPTABLES -A SYN_FLOOD -s $ANY -d $IP0 -m limit --limit 30/s --limit-burst
60 -j RETURN

# Catchall to shape SYN_FLOOD
$IPTABLES -A SYN_FLOOD -m limit --limit 30/s --limit-burst 60 -j RETURN

# Simple logging
$IPTABLES -A SYN_FLOOD -j LOG \
        --log-prefix "IDS_SYN Flood: "

# If met, DROP in an accounted fashion...
$IPTABLES -A SYN_FLOOD -s $ANY -d $IP0 -j DROP

# Catchall to DROP
$IPTABLES -A SYN_FLOOD -j DROP

Regards,
Perry