WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Should or shouldn't block public ping to a website

From: ShiYih Lye <shiyih.lye () my offgamers com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:15:22 +0800

hi,

What Todd said is pretty true, and that is what playing in my mind,
"what does blocking ICMP ping from public will buy me ?"

I have some other suggest me to use TCP traceroute to solve the issue
of not being able to get the traceroute result from my user during
troubleshooting. But the problem is, those website user just ordinary
shopper and they are almost all using Windows machine. Windows default
tracert is not able to do TCP traceroute, I believe. My site is
getting more weird routing issue from user around the world recently,
so I really need to know what part of my user's route is blocking us.
I can't ask a normal shopper to install network tools to help
troubleshoot the issue when what they want is a 5 minutes to settle
their needs. They will just go to other sites.

I think there is not much benefit of dropping ICMP from the public
compare with the bones it gives, at least for a ebusiness website,
doesn't it ? Anyone having different view is most welcome to chip in
your thought :)

Regards,
Lye