WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Apache Killer - take 2?

From: Anestis Bechtsoudis <bechtsoudis.a () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:40:13 +0200

On 01/19/2012 09:59 PM, Damiano Bolzoni wrote:
Hi all,
today we saw a weird HTTP header in a request that came to a web server
we are monitoring:

HEAD /contact HTTP/1.1
Host: www.xyz.nl
Accept: */*

The offending IP is not in any blacklist, and the intent is kind of
clear...the server is Apache, but I have no detailed information about
the version/patching level. The server went ahead with a simple redirect
to the default error page.

Is this just a clumsy way to attempt an overflow of one of the range
boundaries and replicate the infamous Apache Killer attack?

cheers

Apache byte-range killer use many small byte-range chunks in a single
request. So no, your attached request is not related to such an attack.

At latest Apache stable release (2.2.21) -1 is not a valid
entity-length, resulting in a full size 200 response (and not a 206
partial content response) despite the requested range.

For better understanding take a look at modules/http/byterange_filter.c
at apache sources.

I attach a simple perl PoC to check your web servers in case you have to
deal with outdated versions.

Regards,
Anestis

--
Anestis Bechtsoudis

Network Operation Center,
Laboratory for Computing (LabCom),
Dept. of Computer Engineering & Informatics,
University of Patras, Greece

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus