WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Bypassing WAF via HTTP Pollution

From: Ivan Ristic <ivan.ristic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 20:55:29 +0100

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Robin Wood <robin () digininja org> wrote:
On 4 October 2012 10:40, Ivan Ristic <ivan.ristic () gmail com> wrote:
I guess this would be a good opportunity for me to mention my research
on the topic:

Protocol-level evasion of web application firewalls
http://blog.ivanristic.com/2012/07/protocol-level-evasion-of-web-application-firewalls.html

I like the table Danux has showing what order the various
languages/technologies parse the parameters and was wondering if
anyone had a table like this for WAFs, that way it would be a lot
easier to match the language and the WAF and know what ordering to use
to bypass it.

According to my reading of the blog post, the "WAF" in question was a
simulation. In reality, I wouldn't expect that you'd be able to bypass
a WAF by providing multiple instances of the same parameter. The
expected behaviour is that all such values are inspected.

Where it gets tricky is when you are able to split the payload across
two or more parameter instances, and you're attacking an application
that will combine the values into a single string. That could be handy
for bypassing WAFs, but it depends entirely on being able to craft a
payload that will not be detected in "pieces".

Robin