WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: JAVA code obfuscation&De-obfuscation

From: Yiannis Koukouras <ikoukouras () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:35:51 +0100

Hi Vedantam,

I don't know if there is any de-obfuscation software out there, but
-if you have the patience and time- you can de-obfuscate it yourself
to a point where you understand what is happening in the application,
IMHO.

The thing is that it will require a lot of time to do it and if you
care about security, this is not the only way to go finding
vulnerabilities in the application.

If you care about intellectual property, I believe that it would be
easier for someone to re-develop the application from scratch, than
manually de-obfuscate it and then copy the code.....unless you have a
kick-ass algorithm in there, that no one else can come up with....or
military grade secrets (which you shouldn't hard code in the first
place).

Cheers,
Ioannis (Yiannis) Koukouras
CISSP, CISA, CISM, OSCP
MSc in Computer Systems Security
BEng in Electronic Engineering
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ikoukouras

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM, vedantam sekhar <vedantamsekhar () gmail com>