WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Vulnerability Categorization

From: "m@d m0nk" <th3madm0nk () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 00:06:28 +0530

Thank you guys - got the idea.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Eric Schultz <fire0088 () gmail com> wrote:
Its important to note that you described two different findings.

1. Password recovery is brute forcable. If you stuck with owasp, the broken
auth catagory is the best fit. Check if your client has an account lockout
policy. Policy violations may be taken more seriously. Seth listed the
correct cwe if you go that way too.

2. Passwords in database stored in clear text or reversible format. If you
can see the password, one of the two is happening. Best practice is that
passwords should be stored as hashes (nonreversable encryption).

-Eric