Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: USB dissection

From: paul () wsh sbrk co uk
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:57:52 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 01:13:01PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:

On Dec 13, 2009, at 12:15 AM, paul () wsh sbrk co uk wrote:

I'm new to wireshark dissectors and am writing a USB dissector that
is working quite well.
However, it's working because it's the only device on the chosen
bus. What I'd like to
do is activate my dissector for a given vendor id/product id. At the
moment my dissector
is a child of usb.bulk which doesn't contain USB descriptors. Since
there aren't that many
examples of USB dissectors, could anyone explain how I do this?

I don't have much experience with these, but I think a dissector table
tied to the vendor / product id would be the right way to go here.
You could then have your USB dissector register with the table's
values.  The main USB dissector would need to be modified too.

Thanks. So at the moment packet-usb.c registers usb.bulk and usb.control
dissector tables. I would also register usb.vendor and usb.vendor-product
perhaps too, and then instead of calling dissector_add("usb.bulk", 0xffff, h)
I'd now call dissector_add("usb.vendor-product", 0xaaaabbbb, h) where aaaa
is the vendor and bbbb is the product. Does that sound about right?

Paul