Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Diet Libwireshark

From: didier <dgautheron () magic fr>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 14:52:51 +0100

Hi,
Le lundi 02 novembre 2009 à 08:13 -0500, Clint Thomas a écrit :
Hey all,

After a series of trials and errors, I was finally able to
successfully cross-compile a working T-Shark for my 85xx platform.
However, what I have come to find is that Libwireshark.so weighs in
around 32MB (after stripping symbols), which is far too big for the
size of my flash RFS image.

Reading around a bit, it seems like I should be able to reduce the
size of Libwireshark by removing dissector code that goes unused in my
application. To do this, I tried removing the source entries
from ./epan/dissectors/Makefile.in, and rebuilding the application,
 however this did not result in a reduced size for Libwireshark.

I was hoping somebody on this list could clarify where I might be
going wrong in this approach, or if there is a better way to reduce
the size of Libwireshark dramatically (I would like it to only be a
 few MB if at all possible)
I would remove them from Makefile.common rather than Makefile.in and
rerun autogen.sh, Makefile.in is a generated file, it's possible that
your change has been overwritten.

Didier