Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION in 1.2.2

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:42:42 -0800

Joshua (Shiwei) Zhao wrote:
After I upgrade to 1.2.2, I start to see a lot of message like the
following for 802.11 packets I caputre:

[Dissector bug, protocol IEEE 802.11: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION:
dissector accessed an invalid memory address]
Expert Info (Error/Malformed): STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION: dissector
accessed an invalid memory address
Severity level: Error
Group: Malformed

I haven't seen this when I used 1.0.4. In fact all protocol info I
want had been dissected correctly. But these messages are annoying and
I'm curious why it happens and whether it indicates potential
problems.

Anyone has similar experience?

Would it be possible to attach a capture that shows this behavior to a
ticket at bugs.wireshark.org? The bug and/or attachment can be marked
private if needed. Alternately you can send it directly to me.