Wireshark mailing list archives

Need advice on modifying tvb

From: Beth <beth.tridium () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:42:19 -0500

I am trying to rewrite an existing dissector for a proprietary protocol
that, in fact, is only a slight variation on a standard protocol that is
supported by a builtin Wireshark dissector.

The proprietary frame begins with some special fields, followed by a normal
frame of the standard protocol BUT the checksum at the end of the normal
frame is recalculated to reflect the extra bytes at the beginning.  So while
I can easily write a small dissector that parses the initial extra fields
(and have done so), I cannot simply pass the rest of the buffer to the
builtin dissector since then the checksum will be wrong.

My question is:  What is the "right" way to fix that checksum in Wireshark?

I've experimented with several strategies.  The tvb_composite functions
would appear to be ideal, but I can't get them to work for some reason.  So
at the moment I use tvb_memdup to put the data for the normal frame into an
array, fix the bytes of the checksum, and then use tvb_new_real_data to
create a new tvb to pass to the builtin dissector.   That strategy mostly
works: the builtin dissector dissects the right fields and doesn't complain
about the checksum, but the display isn't quite right.  When I select a
field in the display tree, the wrong bytes are highlighted.  I could fix
that by figuring out what internal field of the tvb (or packet_info) needs
to be tweaked... but the fact that I would have to do that tells me that
maybe I'm not going about this the right way.  Generally whenever I find
myself needing to work around the Wireshark API, it means I'm using it
wrong.  ;)

Those of you who are experienced Wireshark developers, what would you
suggest?

Thanks,
b.